What If One of My Children Is Like Me?
What If One of My Children Is Like Me?
I am honestly a little scared as I write this.
One of the reasons I have always been so protective of my children's privacy is because I know what the internet can be like. People can be wonderful, supportive, and kind—but people can also be cruel. They can take pieces of someone's life, misunderstand them, judge them, or use information in ways the person never intended.
That is one reason I have always been very careful about what I put online.
And there is another reason.
We try to protect the children from the domestic discipline side of our marriage. Hubby and I have intentionally kept that part of our relationship between us. I don't want our children growing up feeling that this is something they are supposed to do because Mom and Dad do it. I don't want to influence their ideas about what their own marriages should look like.
There was one night, though, when that privacy was accidentally broken. Our son was about thirteen, and Hubby and I thought he was asleep. He wasn't. He heard Hubby spanking me, and I thought I was going to die of embarrassment. I wanted to crawl into a hole and disappear. Hubby, being the calm one, went and talked to him afterward. He explained that sometimes Mom is held accountable too, that this is something between the two of us, and that it wasn't something our son needed to worry about.
Our son never mentioned it again. Part of me was incredibly relieved that he seemed to accept the explanation and move on. But another part of me worried for a long time that somehow we had messed him up—that hearing something he wasn't supposed to hear at thirteen might change the way he viewed his parents or relationships. I suppose that fear is part of being a parent: knowing you can't control every experience your children have, even when you try your hardest to protect them.
Is it Nurture or Nature?
When they are adults, they will have to make those decisions for themselves.
And I will love them no matter what they choose.
But lately I have found myself wondering something that I honestly don't know how to answer.
What if one of my children grows up and wants a relationship like ours?
I sometimes wonder whether there is a genetic component to the desire for a particular relationship dynamic. I have certainly felt this pull toward submission and domestic discipline for as long as I can remember. Hubby has his own natural inclination toward leadership and responsibility in our marriage.
So I find myself wondering: Is some of this inherited?
I have even caught myself thinking about genetics in the most simplistic way. What if Hubby and I each carry something that contributes to these tendencies? What if there are different combinations of traits involved? What if some of our children inherit certain predispositions and others don't?
Of course, I realize I am probably trying to make something enormously complicated fit into a simple Punnett square.
There isn't a known single “domestic discipline gene” that works like eye color or some other simple inherited trait. Human behavior is much more complicated than that. Research into human sexuality and behavior suggests that genetics can contribute to some traits, but those traits are generally influenced by many genetic factors along with individual experiences and environment.
So my little mental exercise about dominant genes, recessive genes, and whether Hubby and I are carrying the same or different versions of something isn't really something science can answer for me.
But it is still a fascinating question to wonder about.
We have three children.
Three completely different little people who somehow came from the same two parents.
And I wonder sometimes if one of them will grow up and discover something about themselves that feels strangely familiar to me.
Maybe one of them will want a very traditional marriage.
Maybe one will want something completely different.
Maybe one will want to be the strong, independent partner who doesn't want anything resembling our dynamic.
Maybe one will eventually discover that submission, leadership, accountability, or some other aspect of relationship structure speaks to them.
Maybe none of them will.
And honestly, that's okay.
- I don't want to decide their futures for them.
- I don't want to plant an idea in their heads.
- I don't want them thinking, Mom and Dad have this kind of marriage, so maybe this is what marriage is supposed to be.
Our marriage is ours.
Their marriages will belong to them.
What matters to me far more than whether they someday choose a relationship resembling ours is whether they are happy, healthy, secure, loving, responsible adults who choose relationships where they are respected and where they can be themselves.
And so far?
I couldn't be more proud of them.
All three of our children are getting straight A's.
All three have heavy academic schedules.
All three work incredibly hard.
All three have good heads on their shoulders.
And all three have an amazing work ethic.
Sometimes Hubby and I look at them and wonder how we got so lucky.
I'd like to take some credit. Maybe 25 percent of who they are is the result of Hubby and me—the guidance, the boundaries, the expectations, the conversations, the example we try to set. But I think the other 75 percent is simply them. They are genuinely great young people.
They make good choices.
They work hard.
They care about their futures.
They have their own personalities, strengths, weaknesses, dreams, and ideas.
And I don't want to take that away from them by assuming their lives will look like ours.
If someday one of my children comes to me and says, “Mom, I want a marriage that looks different from yours,” I hope my response is simply, “Okay. Tell me about it.”
And if someday one of them says, “Mom, I think I understand something about myself that you might understand better than most people,” I hope I can listen without judgment.
Maybe they will never have that conversation with me.
Maybe they won't need to.
Maybe this whole question will remain nothing more than a strange thought I had while sitting at my computer writing a blog post.
But I can't help wondering. With three children, three unique combinations of Hubby's genes and mine, and three completely separate lives waiting to unfold. Whatever paths they choose
I hope they know that their father and I will always be in their corner.
I hope they find people who love them.
I hope they find relationships built on trust, respect, honesty, communication, and genuine affection.
I hope they have the courage to walk away from relationships that aren't good for them.
And most of all, I hope they are happy.
Because ultimately, I don't need them to become like me.
I just need them to become themselves.
x

Hi Lisa,
ReplyDeleteLike you, I seem to have had a fascination with spanking from a young age. Not "liking", but a fascination for sure. And it also helped that spankings frankly worked very well on me growing up and really stuck with me... and I was the one that first proposed domestic discipline to my husband, too. He thought I was nuts at first, but he did obviously come around... now it is a cornerstone of our marriage.
And like you, no one else knows I am spanked... except for my oldest daughter. I think I had mentioned this to you before, but she was 9 years old when she overheard me one night getting a spanking and asked me about it the next day on our way to school. I was mortified and could have practically choked on air when she asked "mom, did you get a spanking last night?" Just out of the blue, lol. I simply explained to her, probably with my whole face red, that sometimes momma gets spanked too when she does something very bad, and earns consequences. She seemed to take this news reasonably well I think? Thankfully she has never brought it up since, and thankfully it also didn't undermine me as her mother either like I was very afraid it would. It also helps that Craig always has my back and we are on the same page on parenting.
I too have sometimes wondered how much of this is genetic, or at least wondered what factors may have been there so early on that made spanking so focal to me vs many others. And I have no specific reasons to suspect either of my girls have the same "gene" so to speak, but I know both of them, like me, definitely do sometimes seem to benefit from the occasional "reset" over a lap, too. That, and one time when my youngest was 6 years old, she said afterwards, "sorry mommy, I guess I was asking for that", lol. So I don't know!
I know this kind of relationship is not for everyone, but part of me wants to sing its praises to other people (not just online) because of how much of a difference it has made for me and my husband, and by extension our family! But I know I can't do that... and I won't do that with my girls, either. If someday they decide they want a marriage like mine, I might be simultaneously overjoyed and also sympathetic that I apparently passed this "gene" on, lol... but if they do not, then as long as they are happy and the men they choose are decent men, I couldn't ask for a better blessing.
Hi Maya,
ReplyDeleteI can relate so much to what you said! My fascination with spanking started when I was just a little girl, too. It is something I have wondered about for years because it seemed to be there long before I had any real understanding of what it meant in an adult relationship. It makes me wonder what it is about some of us that makes this dynamic resonate so deeply.
And oh my goodness, I can absolutely relate to your embarrassment when your daughter asked you about hearing you get spanked! When our son overheard Hubby spanking me, I thought I was going to die of embarrassment. I wanted to crawl into a hole and never come out! Hubby was much calmer about the whole thing and went to talk to him, explaining that sometimes I am held accountable, too. Our son never mentioned it again, thankfully, but I remember worrying that we had somehow messed him up by exposing him to something he wasn't supposed to know about. It is such a vulnerable feeling when something so private suddenly isn't private anymore!
As for the genetics question, I just have to believe there is something to it, even if we don't understand exactly what it is. Too many people seem to have this fascination or inclination from a young age, before anyone has taught them about domestic discipline or even explained that such a relationship dynamic exists. I know everyone's experiences are different, and I certainly wouldn't claim to have the science figured out, but I have to wonder if some of us are simply wired in a way that makes this kind of relationship feel natural to us. I know I seem to have been made this way, and it is fascinating to hear from other women who describe such similar experiences.
I also really understand what you said about wanting to sing its praises because of the difference it has made in your marriage. I feel the same way! This dynamic has made such a positive difference in my life, not just as a wife, but in so many other areas. I believe I am a better woman, mom, wife, teacher, and coworker because of the accountability, self-reflection, and personal growth that have come with it. It has helped me recognize things about myself that I need to work on and has encouraged me to be more intentional about how I treat the people around me. Of course, I know this isn't the right path for everyone, and I would never want my children to feel that they should follow our example simply because it works for us. But I do wish more people understood that, in a loving and consensual marriage, this dynamic can mean something very different from what they might assume.
Thank you so much for such a thoughtful reply to my post, Maya. It was comforting to hear your experience, especially about your daughter overhearing you, because I sometimes wonder how other women have navigated those unexpected moments with their children. And it is reassuring to know that someone else has wrestled with these same questions about where this inclination comes from. I really appreciate you sharing so openly with me!
-Lisa