Corner Time: More Than Just Standing in the Corner
Corner Time: More Than Just Standing in the Corner
AT the bottom of the blog post is an amazing video From "The Pink Side" Caleb explains a great explanation on how to do Corner time
Corner time is one of those parts of domestic discipline that can seem almost too simple to have much purpose. After all, what is the big deal about standing in a corner for a few minutes? But in our relationship, I have come to realize that corner time can serve several different purposes depending on when it happens.
There are definitely pros and cons to using corner time. The biggest benefit, in my opinion, is that it creates a pause. Discipline doesn't always have to move straight from the correction to the consequence and then be over. Sometimes having a few quiet minutes in between gives me a chance to stop arguing with myself, stop making excuses, breathe, and actually think about what I did.
The downside is that corner time can sometimes make me even more nervous. When I know a spanking is coming, standing there with nothing to do but think about it can make the anticipation almost overwhelming. And sometimes the hardest part is simply being patient and accepting that I have to wait.
When Should Corner Time Happen?
I think there are three particularly useful times for corner time: before the spanking, during the discipline, or afterward. Each serves a slightly different purpose.
Before the Spanking
Corner time before a spanking can give the submissive partner time to think about what happened and why they are being disciplined. Instead of immediately moving into the consequence, there is a period of quiet reflection.
For me, this can be extremely difficult.
I become nervous very quickly, and when I am standing there knowing what is coming, my mind tends to race. I usually find myself thinking about what I did, what I should have done differently, and how disappointed I am in myself. At the same time, there is a part of me that just wants the waiting to be over and the consequence to begin.
That is actually one of the reasons I think it can be valuable. It teaches me patience.
I don't get to rush through the uncomfortable part. I have to stand there, think about my choices, and accept that there are consequences for them. Sometimes that quiet time gives me a much clearer understanding of why the correction is happening than I had when the disagreement first occurred.
Corner Time in the Middle
Another option is to use corner time as a break during a longer disciplinary session.
For me, this can be especially useful when my husband is changing from one method of discipline to another. The pause gives me an opportunity to recover emotionally and physically before continuing.
But strangely enough, it is also another very nervous time for me.
I may be standing quietly, trying to collect myself, while hearing him preparing the next part of the discipline. Knowing that the next stage is coming can make my nervousness increase rather than decrease. The anticipation returns, and sometimes I find myself wishing I could just get through the rest of it.
Still, that pause serves a purpose. It gives both of us a moment to breathe and prevents discipline from becoming something rushed or thoughtless.
Corner Time Afterward
Of the three, I think corner time afterward can sometimes be the most meaningful.
Once the discipline is finished, I may still be emotional. I might need several minutes before I am ready to talk normally again. Standing quietly gives me that opportunity.
Honestly, there is another reason I appreciate it: sometimes I need somewhere to hide my face while I cry.
Crying afterward can be embarrassing for me. I don't necessarily want my husband watching every tear fall from my face while I am trying to regain my composure. Having a few quiet minutes in the corner allows me to cry, breathe, and calm myself without feeling like I have to immediately pull myself together.
Then, when I am ready, we can talk.
That transition is important to me because discipline shouldn't be the end of the interaction. There needs to be a return to connection, understanding, and reassurance.
What About Clothing?
For me, corner time is usually done nude. Within our relationship, that is part of what makes corner time such an effective form of discipline.
Being required to stand there without clothes leaves me feeling very vulnerable and humbled. It takes away a lot of the attitude and fight that I may still be carrying when I first enter the corner. It is difficult to stand there stubbornly defending myself when I am completely exposed and have nothing to hide behind.
There is something about that vulnerability that helps me mentally shift from "I'm still upset about this" to "I need to stop, listen, and think about what I did."
That doesn't mean I am suddenly happy about being in trouble. Quite the opposite! Sometimes the embarrassment and vulnerability make me even more aware that I am being disciplined. But that is part of why it works for me.
I know every couple has to decide what is appropriate for their own relationship. Some couples may prefer corner time fully clothed, while others may choose different levels of undress. For us, being nude is intentional. It isn't simply about the physical aspect of discipline. It is about humility, vulnerability, and helping me put my attitude aside so I can actually receive the correction.
For me, the clothing—or lack of it—is part of the message: Meaning I am usually nude and it helps me.
Stop fighting. Stop defending. Listen. Think. Learn.
Once I have calmed down and reflected on what happened, I am in a much better place to reconnect with my husband and move forward.
What Goes Through My Mind
When corner time comes before discipline, my thoughts are usually anything but peaceful.
I am nervous. Sometimes overwhelmingly nervous. I think about what I did wrong, what I should have done differently, and what I wish I could take back. And, if I'm being completely honest, I usually reach a point where I just want the waiting to stop.
But that waiting teaches me something.
It forces me to be patient.
It gives me time to move beyond the initial defensiveness and actually consider my behavior. Sometimes by the time I am called out of the corner, I understand the situation much better than I did when I first got in trouble.
When corner time happens in the middle, my thoughts are different.
Usually, I am grateful for the break because I need a moment to recover and collect myself. But hearing my husband preparing for the next part makes me nervous all over again. There is something about not knowing exactly when he is going to call me back that makes the anticipation build.
And I know that if the discipline is becoming more serious, the pause gives me a chance to recognize that and mentally prepare myself.
When corner time happens afterward, I am usually dealing with a completely different set of emotions.
Most of the time I am still crying.
Sometimes I just need to breathe.
Sometimes I stand there thinking about what happened and replaying the conversation in my head. And sometimes I am simply grateful for a few minutes where I don't have to make eye contact while I'm crying, it’s a bit humbling when I am crying in front of him from a spanking.
Eventually, I calm down.
Then comes the part I think matters most: reconnecting.
Reconnecting
The corner isn't supposed to leave me feeling abandoned. It is supposed to give me enough quiet to process everything so that when my husband and I come back together, we can talk, pray, hug, and move forward.
For me, that is what makes corner time meaningful. It isn't really about standing in a particular spot in the room. It is about creating a pause between what happened, the consequence, and what comes next.
And sometimes that pause is exactly what I need.
A Man's Perspective
I'd love to hear from the men who practice domestic discipline.- Explain the way you run corner time. Discuss the process.
- When do you use corner time, and why? Do you prefer it before discipline, as a break during discipline, afterward, or some combination of the three?
- What do you hope your woman gets from those quiet minutes?
- What state of dress do you prefer and why? (fully clothed, shirt and panties, bare from waist down, or nude)
- And do you see corner time primarily as a consequence, a time for reflection, a chance to calm down, or something else entirely?
- I'd especially love to hear your perspective on what is going through your mind while your woman is standing in the corner.
Bonus
Thank you Lisa, I think most, if not all woman feel the way you do about corner time. I surely do, even growing up. The way it was explained to me was that it’s part of the punishment, aftercare, calm down space and transition back to everything is ok again. My man would say he enjoys seeing his painted canvas as a job well done. Growing up my father would spank privately but for corner time you were on display in the family room, kitchen, dinning room or where ever most people were. The embarrassment factor but also for others to see what happens to a naughty little girl, so behave yourself. And no fidgeting in the corner, or spanked again and longer corner time.
ReplyDeleteLisa, I’m very happy you came clean with your hubby. Even though you were deservingly punished, I’m sure it’s a big stress release, as I think it was starting to take a toll on you. I hope you continue this blog as long as it makes you happy. It surely benefits a lot of us woman. Stay healthy and God Bless.
Hey Professional Woman...
ReplyDeleteI have to admit sometimes my mind wanders around. If men are listening... there is such thing as to long of a corner time. You have to know your woman what the appropriate time is while being in the corner.
Oh my gosh yes.... Hubby saying, enjoying the fruits of his labor.
Oh my gosh in the family room when you were a kid.
Thank you.... the guilt was building and building... thank you the prayers.
-Lisa
I agree with you about an appropriate amount of time depending on the personality of the woman involved, Lisa. I have talked with people who believe in long corner time, and the longer the better. Personally, I think this is counter-productive because it produces unproductive mind chatter and becomes an obstacle to reconnecting. Peter55Smiith
DeleteAs to state of undress, I often lean towards having her bare from the waist down. The reason is that often it makes the woman feel more naked than if she were nude and it heightens her emotions that you described. Peter555Smith
DeletePeter55Smith,
DeleteThank you for your comment. I agree that some clothing with nudity makes you feel more vulnerable.
-Lisa
In our life, the shoe is on the other foot. We have a 24/7 FLR with DD household. I have covenants, duties, chores, house and behavior rules to live by. I get spanked for discipline and maintenance. For the most part, my life partner is against some punishment concepts, like line writing, lost privileges and corner time. However, there are times she makes me wait for punishment to begin, or during a pause in the punishment and a short period of reflection at the conclusion. These periods are not in a corner, but rather in the punishment position. I am always totally nude when spanked, so the waiting periods are nude as well. I agree with the thoughts you mention during the different waiting periods.
ReplyDeleteFirst time reader of you blog and hope to find more interesting articles. Thanks for maintaining the blog.
Hey Spanked Cowboy,
ReplyDeleteI am so glad you are here. Welcome to my blog. If you have articles that you would like to see me cover please let me know.
As far as Corner time is concerned, it honestly is just a frame of reference. It can be anywhere that I wait in silence and think about and reflect. I have even had corner time in the bathroom sitting on the toilet with a kitchen timer.
-Lisa
"Explain the way you run corner time. Discuss the process."
ReplyDeleteCorner time was not used when I was growing up, so I had to become accustomed to the idea through adult spanking fiction. I did eventually warm up to it, and I now believe it can be powerfully effective as part of the disciplinary ritual.
"When do you use corner time, and why? Do you prefer it before discipline, as a break during discipline, afterward, or some combination of the three?"
Before or after. Discipline is modeled after traditional parental spanking, and there is no break to create multiple spankings. The procedure I learned in my youth did not include corner time, however, the before and after were similar experiences. Waiting in your room, seated anxiously on the edge of your bed, you had time to think about what you did, why you should not have done it, and why you had better not do it again. After a spanking, prone on our stomachs in bed, we had time to be alone with our thoughts, shed what remained of our tears, feel the burn on our backsides, and be relieved that at least the worst was over. Standing in the corner is time for the same feelings. In order to keep the experience of corner time from becoming too routine, I find it best to choose either before or after rather than both.
"What do you hope your woman gets from those quiet minutes?"
The purpose of corner time is humility. We see no other benefit that could not be accomplished through other rituals that provide a quiet time for contemplation or for recovery. Immobilized, standing at attention with her face in the corner, the figure of a child corrected, her state of disgrace is on full display. These awkward moments should be a psychological eye-opener for her, and the reason I don't want it to become routine. Having to stand in the corner is not a position she should ever become accustomed to. Having been humbled, the chances of her being in this situation again are lessened.
"What state of dress do you prefer and why? (fully clothed, shirt and panties, bare from waist down, or nude)"
I prefer to see total nudity, head-to-toe, stripped of all jewelry and cosmetics. That is to me the look and feel of total vulnerability and surrender to the circumstances, and also maximum contrast to a fully attired disciplinarian. However, thinking in more general terms, one should take into consideration the mindset of the corner time resident. If she is comfortable being nude in a variety of settings, and is more sensitive to a display focused on her bottom, then bare from the waist down or just with pants lowered should cause a stronger stirring of emotion. Novelty is uncertainty, variety is spice, and it doesn't always have to be one way or the other.
"And do you see corner time primarily as a consequence, a time for reflection, a chance to calm down, or something else entirely?"
I see it as a consequence. She is in the corner because she was a bad girl. In her mind, she should be ashamed of her behavior. She knows that daddy doesn't put her there on a whim. If she is waiting for her spanking, she wants to escape this terribly awkward position, yet is not looking forward to what happens when corner time is over. After a spanking, her colorful behind is a glaring display of what happens in this house to girls who get themselves into trouble.
"I'd especially love to hear your perspective on what is going through your mind while your woman is standing in the corner."
I'm seeing the most precious and special woman in the world. She may feel humbled, but to me she is heroic, surrendering to her needs with utter transparency and courage. This is profound intimacy that we share, and I am in the unique position of taking her places that she would not go except with the one she trusts completely, and who only wants what is best for her.
-BB
ummmm wow.
DeleteThank you BB for being so thorough. You covered it all. I like everything you wrote. Honestly you melted my heart at the last paragraph.
I like what you said with the paragraph before it. You see it as a consequence. This is part of the punishment, not so much a reflection time.
Again thank you for the great detail. I can imagine me going back and reading your reply over and over. I am interested in picking Hubby's brain and then have him read this reply and tell me what he thinks.
-Lisa