Update: What happened Wednesday
Update: What happened Wednesday
As a lot of you know, for a long time, I have kept a secret from my husband.
I have been writing this blog—and my other blogs—without him knowing about them. I knew it was wrong to keep something this important from the man I promised to love, honor, and respect. I also knew that eventually I would have to tell him the truth.
Many of you encouraged me to come clean. Some of you gently reminded me that secrets have a way of hurting the very relationships we are trying to protect. Others encouraged me to trust my husband and believe that honesty was the right thing to do.
I want to thank every one of you who supported me, encouraged me, and prayed for me as I wrestled with this decision.
Well, on Monday, I finally came clean.
I wrote my husband a letter explaining everything, and then I sat down and read it to him.
He listened.
He didn't interrupt me. He didn't speak. He never broke eye contact with me.
That silence was incredibly hard to take.
When I finished, he asked me for the websites. Then he told me that he needed some time to think.
And he really took some time.
For about five hours, he sat in my office with his laptop and his Bible. I gave him the space he asked for, but I have to admit that it was absolutely killing me inside.
My mind was racing.
What is he looking at?
What does he think about the blogs?
Is he angry?
Is he disappointed?
Is he going to tell me I have to stop?
I wanted to go in there and ask him a hundred questions, but I knew he needed time. So I waited.
When he finally came out, he told me that I could keep the blogs.
I was relieved.
But then he told me how disappointed he was that I had kept this from him.
That part hit me hard.
Then he said something that I don't think I will ever forget.
"Lisa, why do you think I am a monster? It's like you don't know me at all. Haven't I proven to you that I would have listened and supported you?"
Ouch. That went straight to my heart. Because he was right.
I had spent so much time worrying about how he would react that I never stopped to think about what my secrecy was saying about him. I was acting as if I already knew he would reject me, be angry with me, or refuse to understand.
But my husband has spent years proving to me that he loves me.
He has shown me, over and over again, that I can come to him with difficult things. He has supported me through some of the hardest moments of my life. And yet, when it came to something I was embarrassed and afraid to share, I chose secrecy instead of trusting him.
I am still ashamed of that.
He did tell me that I could continue blogging, but there would be some conditions.
He created a checklist for me to use before I post anything. The purpose is to help protect our privacy, our family, our marriage, and our identities. I need to be much more careful about what information I share and make sure that I am not putting any of us at risk.
I am grateful that he was willing to work with me instead of simply telling me to stop.
He gave me a 1 page writing assignment that I was supposed to complete by Friday.
I finished it on Wednesday.
The assignment was about respect, trust, and keeping things from my husband. It turned into an apology.
On Wednesday, I read it to him.
He praised me for the work I had put into it, and that meant a lot to me. I had poured my heart into those pages, and I wanted him to know that I understood why what I had done was wrong.
As part of my consequences, I was also to receive a belting for each of the three blogs, three days in a row. Those consequences were difficult, but they also gave me time to reflect on what I had done and why keeping secrets from my husband was not the way I wanted to handle our marriage.
After I finished my writing assignment, my husband gave me a choice.
He told me I could post it on the blog.
At first, I wasn't sure.
I am embarrassed by what I did. I don't enjoy admitting that I kept something this important from my husband. But after praying about it, I decided that I wanted to share it.
I am sharing it because I hope someone else can learn from my mistakes.
Secrets can start small. Sometimes we tell ourselves that we are keeping something secret because we are afraid of disappointing someone. Sometimes we think we are protecting our spouse from something they might not understand. Sometimes we convince ourselves that we will tell them "later."
But "later" can turn into months or years.
And the longer a secret is kept, the harder it becomes to tell the truth.
I wish I had trusted my husband enough to tell him from the beginning.
I wish I had believed that he would listen.
I wish I had remembered all the times he had already shown me that I could trust him.
Most of all, I wish I had understood that keeping something from him was not an act of protection. It was a failure to show him the trust and respect that he deserved from me.
I am thankful that my husband chose to listen.
I am thankful that he took the time to think and pray before responding.
I am thankful that he was willing to forgive me and find a way forward.
And I am thankful for all of you who encouraged me to do the right thing, even when doing the right thing was scary.
So, with my husband's permission, I am sharing the writing assignment I wrote for him.
I am embarrassed.
But I also believe there is value in being honest about our mistakes. Maybe someone reading this is keeping a secret from their spouse. Maybe you are afraid of what will happen if you tell the truth.
I can't promise you what your spouse's reaction will be.
But I can tell you this: I wish I had trusted mine enough to find out.
And sharing this assignment is one more way that I can show my husband that I respect him, that I am sorry, and that I am committed to doing better.
Click the pictures below to read pages 1 and 2 of my apology writing assignment.
Your love for one another prevails
ReplyDeleteSorry to hear about the three day belting. I’ve had them before. My thoughts, prayers and love are with you. God bless.
ReplyDeleteHusband is definitely not a monster. He is a good man . “The single guy here “. How many could save their relationships, if only they put in the correct effort with a Proven system that works and with the right heart attitude and Approach
ReplyDeleteProud of you for coming clean with everything !!
Single Guy,
DeleteYes he is a great man. Thank you for verifying it.
-Lisa
Oh, Lisa! My heart just aches for you! Please know that there are many of us out here who are praying for you and your marriage, especially as today may be one of the three days in which you are belted by your husband. (I wasn’t sure when that particular consequence was due to begin, but I am praying for you nevertheless.) I have never been belted on subsequent days, and I can only imagine how difficult that must be to bear. I have faith that God will guide your husband’s hand so that you are not truly harmed. It is good that he has years of experience in delivering discipline so that he knows how to safely use a belt and what signs or marks signal that a punishment is done. An inexperienced man might overstep and cause real damage. Surely nights two and three will have fewer or lighter swats, given that there would still be tenderness from the night before? Again, we must trust that God will guide his hand.
ReplyDeleteWhen I first read that you had kept this from your husband, I have to admit that I was shocked and disappointed. I don’t say this to shame you, because I want you to know that it did not change my love for you and my admiration for the work you do here. But I know that secrets destroy marriages and that keeping a secret of that magnitude signals a distrust of your husband that isn’t in line with everything else you’ve shared about your marriage. So I prayed for you. I prayed that you would find the courage to be truly honest with your husband. I prayed that he would discover the blog because you had humbly confessed it to him, and not because he discovered it on his own, slowly recognizing himself, his wife, and your day to day life in the beautiful posts you’ve written. That would be a horrific way to discover a wife’s dishonesty, and I am grateful that God guided you to make the right choice. You did do the right thing, and I know that your husband has factored your eventual honesty into his determination of your consequences, however harsh.
I agree with your husband that keeping this from him makes it seem as though you believe him to be a monster incapable of understanding your intentions, someone who is unapproachable and cruel. But everything you’ve written about him is in complete contrast to this. I believe that you were simply impulsive and careless in posting without his permission. A sin against him, yes, but a lesser one, had it been confessed early on. But procrastination (and maybe fear of the rightful punishment you knew would follow) allowed this sin to snowball into an omission so great it that might have destroyed your marriage. I hope you are able to convey to him that you don’t see him in this way.
I’m submitting now in case my post is too long. I will continue in a second post.
Much love,
Sophia
Sophia,
DeleteThank you so much for such a thoughtful and thorough response. I am going to answer all 4 right here. I honestly don't know how to adequately thank you for taking the time to write all of this to me. Your words touched my heart deeply, and I have read your comment more than once.
Most of all, thank you for your prayers. Knowing that you and others have been praying for me, for my husband, and for our marriage means more to me than I can put into words. These have been some very emotional and humbling days, and I have needed those prayers more than you know.
I am so very grateful that I chose to confess to my husband rather than allowing him to discover the blogs on his own. That was one of the things I was most afraid of. I knew that the longer I kept this from him, the worse the eventual discovery would be. Still, actually sitting down and telling him was incredibly difficult.
But I have learned something through all of this: obeying God is always the best solution, even when obedience is hard and even when doing the right thing is frightening. I should have trusted God enough to be honest with my husband from the beginning. Instead, I let fear and procrastination lead me down a path that made everything much more complicated and painful than it ever needed to be.
Your words about the blog blessing other women mean so much to me. Sometimes I wonder if what I write really makes a difference, so hearing that my words have helped women feel less alone is incredibly encouraging. I am grateful for every woman who has trusted me enough to share part of her own story with me.
I will absolutely tell my husband that you wanted to thank him for allowing me to continue writing. I know that will mean something to him, too.
Thank you again, Sophia, for your prayers, your honesty, your encouragement, and your friendship.
With love and gratitude,
Lisa
I hope that you’re able to convey to your husband that your sin was in making an impulsive choice to post your private thoughts about your marriage to him (a decision he may or may not have agreed with, but you didn’t check) and then childishly postponing the inevitable punishment by continuing to hide it from him. It was never, I believe, an intentional decision to create a secret life separate from him. Though even as I’m writing this, I wonder if there is really a difference. A small sin can cause great harm and have many unintended consequences when it is allowed to fester in the dark.
ReplyDeleteI know that shame and regret must weigh so very heavy on your heart right now, and so I want to share some positive things that I hope you can take comfort in.
You did the brave and honest thing by confessing to your husband. You put yourself and your act of dishonesty squarely in his hands, knowing that he would take decisive action to put your marriage back on track. You knew that he has the power to correct your wrongs and cleanse you of your sins. You confessed to him even knowing, as you must have, that he would punish you. Perhaps you even hoped for that spanking when you opened your heart to him, knowing the cleansing forgiveness and relief from painful regret and suffering that would wash over you afterwards. You were brave and you trusted in your husband to make it right. Remember that.
Though you kept it from him (which was very wrong, I don’t want to minimize that), every single word you’ve written here honors him and your loving Christian marriage. Which is also why it’s so wrong that he wasn’t in on it from the start, relishing your praise of him and how very hard you were working all this time to be a better wife for him. This blog is a beautiful testament to the life you’ve built together, made possible only by his righteous headship, his loving and skillful care of you, his discipline, but also his tenderness. He should have been beaming with pride to know that you spoke of him this way. Once you are cleansed of the sin and shame of going behind his back, and especially as he is allowing you to continue, I hope that your writing can become a source of pride and happiness in your marriage, as it was meant to, had you been honest with him. Every word, every post, honors your man and reaffirms his complete, God-given authority over you. Remember that.
Moving on to part three,
Sophia
Hi Lisa, I agree with single guy. Your husband is not a monster. He took his leadership seriously. He was concerned that he was not leading in a way that made you feel ok to talk to him. That is what good leaders do. He is thinking about his accountability in leadership and how he can do and be better. I hope you get a heartfelt letter from him also. I think I may understand true dd now. The husband has the stress and legitimately the pain of his leadership and his failings. If he is leading the relationship when something goes wrong he needs to ask himself what is my accountability? And to be fair, you did write about your sex life on line, which would violate trust in an egalitarian marriage But if I understand correctly after he physically disciplines you. You are forgiven. But you are wise to know you need to work on trust . You are a very respectful woman which will help with building back the trust. As someone who does marriage therapy, f you haven't ask him what do I need to do to build trust? What do you need from me? Tell me your heart. Let's talk about where we are at a nd like to be as a couple. His rules are also more than fair as if someone found out about your lifestyle he would bear the brunt. People would label him abusive and he may be fired. So glad you are keeping everyone safe. Good luck, God Bless and having worked with couples feel strong your marriage will get only better! Wondering
ReplyDeleteHi Wondering,
DeleteThank you. I never expect everybody to understand the way hubby and I are doing life together. As a fellow woman of science I love that you read objectify and gather information not from one post, or even two.
Also thank you for the amazing advice. I will ask him when he gets home tonight from work. What great suggestions to ask him... "What do I need to do to build trust?", "What do you need from me?", "Tell me your heart." and "Let's talk about where we are at and like to be as a couple."
Thank you
-Lisa
You have truly blessed us, the disciplined wives who can’t speak openly in real life. You have comforted us and helped us to know that we’re not alone. I love Aron and his blog, and I pray for his righteous work to continue, but there is no substitute for hearing from a real woman who is also spanked by her husband. I appreciated your comments there, and those of the other wives (and the one precious article written by Aron’s lovely wife!), but finding your blog was such a sweet treat for me! I can’t tell you how fascinating it has been to read about your life, how beneficial to hear tips from you that I can implement in my own marriage, and how soothing to my soul to hear another woman put into words the glorious feeling of being governed by a strong man, even when (maybe because?) he punishes you. Your blog inspires and comforts your women readers. You’ve made us feel as though you are a dear friend. Remember that.
ReplyDeleteI love your checklist! I have shared this with my husband as something I should follow when I post replies online, and he appreciated having a written list of reminders for me to consider. Your accidental misstep (in forgetting to flag content that might be objectionable to some) isn’t directly relevant to me, but the overall list you and your husband generated will help me and others take steps to maintain our privacy online. Thank you for that.
Finally, you’ve been honest with us, your readers. You haven’t sugar-coated your act of dishonesty, and you don’t pretend to be a perfect wife, allowing us to see our imperfect selves in you and to learn from your mistakes. You warned us that you planned to come clean to your husband and took the time to say goodbye, just in case he didn’t allow you to come back to us. I was very touched that you wanted us to know why you had disappeared if that was what your husband chose. I was also proud of you for acknowledging that losing your blog might be a consequence of being honest with your husband. You decided in advance that you would obey his word, even if it meant giving up something you love, and you chose to place yourself in his capable hands anyway. That shows courage, but also much love and trust in your husband. You chose your marriage over us, your readers, and I truly admire you for it. All of your readers should. Remember that.
Oh, Lisa, I just want to shower you with love, knowing how tender and vulnerable you must feel right now! Take comfort in the fact that your husband has forgiven you! He is not harboring resentment, seething in anger or contemplating divorce. He knows your actions are his holy responsibility and has chosen to exercise his Christian headship by disciplining you and guiding you back into the light of God’s love. Praise God for this man who loves you so deeply! He has chosen to repair your marriage and move forward with you, allowing you to keep touching lives with your beautiful writing. This is truly something to be grateful for.
Please tell your husband that I would very much like to thank him for allowing you to continue writing. I was worried we had lost you.
Sophia
Wow! Apparently I need four posts. The last was too long. I’m sorry for writing so much, but my heart just goes out to you, Lisa. You’ve done the right thing, and these hard days will pass.
ReplyDeleteHere’s the rest:
I am praying that God will send you the strength to bear these difficult consequences. Know that my heart is with you. Please take time to reconnect with your husband and heal your marriage together. All of us understand the raw, tender, vulnerable days after a hard spanking (and three in a row, with a belt, must be especially difficult), so no one expects you to post right away. But when you have healed, physically and emotionally, I do hope that you’ll share your experience with us and how your marriage has (I am sure) thrived in the aftermath. For now, I hope that you are able to stay home from work and that your children are occupied elsewhere so that you can dress lightly (or not at all) and soothe your aching bottom with a cool ice pack from the fridge. A loose cotton sundress with nothing underneath is my go-to outfit. Sometimes if I’m really sore, I’ll lay on my stomach in our bed, turn the overhead fan on high, and place a damp washcloth over each cheek. It’s just cool enough that I can fall asleep that way. An ice pack works better, but I feel like I keep having to take it off and then put it back on because it gets too cold. Aloe Vera gel (like for sunburns) kept cool in the fridge and ibuprofen help, too. Spanked wives need to share practical advice with each other sometimes, too.
Prayers and much love to you, my sweet friend,
Sophia
I hope you're feeling better now, and that the punishments have made you feel clean.
ReplyDeleteHonestly, yeah, I don't wanna lecture or anything, but I imagine you never expected how big this blog would get.
Either way, I hope you both are now cuddling and reconnecting!
Hi Anonymous, (feel free to use a nickname so I know who to respond to)
DeleteI feel so much better especially after yesterday. Yesterday we had a long talk and I feel truly forgiven.
-Lisa
hi Lisa it’s Linda. Thanks for telling us your story. Do you think you’ll continue to blog? I’m not sure I would given the level of detail and how long the checklist is, although when I read your post, I really don’t know any details about you at all, So I think you really got the privacy thing down pat. I most definitely would not continue to blog, but more power to you if you do! I know the audience that shares the lifestyle with you will be happy. Best of luck to you.
DeleteHi Linda,
DeleteOh yes I plan on continuing the blog. I don't thick the checklist is to bad. I have worked really hard to stay anonymous. It is sad that this is a dirty secret and we can't talk about this. I have seen teachers fired when they just post a picture of themselves drinking.
-Lisa
hi I'm the anon who said I was hoping y'all cuddled and that all is better now.
Deleteyou can call me Lola!
thanks Lola!!!
DeleteSo glad you are back Ma'am. Us spanked wives need to support each other! Mrs Rachel Evans
ReplyDeleteThank you Mrs. Rachel
DeleteOh my Goodness, Lisa! I haven't been keeping up with reading your blog very well the last few weeks so to say I am astounded by these last three posts is a major understatement! I'm so relieved that you told your hubby. I adore reading your blog, but it did always concern me that you were keeping this big secret from him. I am sure you are grateful for a husband who holds you accountable for your sins, while treating you with love and kindness. God created us as imperfect humans and you made a mistake and that's OK! There is true repentance in your heart and I know that God sees that.
ReplyDeleteI am also very grateful that your husband is allowing you to continue posting. My own husband doesn't love it when I read Aron's blog, because he finds something very off-putting about Aron and his rigidity. He is happy that there is a kinder and gentler blog for me to follow - one where there is joy found in Godliness and submission, rather than legalistic misery.
Thank you for keeping us updated!
All Glory to God! - Darcy
Darcy,
DeleteI am so glad too that I told him. There was great shame in my heart every time I kept it from him. And we are closer than ever before now.
I am glad he let me keep blogging, but honestly I was ready to let it go also if he commanded me.
-Lisa