Being the Head of the House Isn't Easy Either

 Being the Head of the House Isn't Easy Either

I wrote this about a month ago and I am going to let it post this Sunday. I scheduled it and now I think it is more important than ever.


When people think about a domestic discipline marriage, they often focus on the wife. They think about submission, accountability, rules, consequences, and yes... spankings. Since I write from my perspective, that's naturally what you read about most often.


But today I want to talk about someone who doesn't always get enough credit.


My husband.


Being the head of our household isn't as easy as some people imagine.


I think sometimes people assume that because he has the authority, everything is simple for him. He makes a decision, I obey, and life moves on. If only it were that easy.


Leadership comes with responsibility.


When I make a poor decision, it doesn't just affect me. He has to decide whether it needs correcting. He has to consider my heart, my intentions, the circumstances, and whether discipline is truly needed or if encouragement would accomplish more.


That isn't always an easy call.


Believe it or not, I don't think he enjoys disciplining me.


  • He enjoys a peaceful marriage.
  • He enjoys laughing together.
  • He enjoys cuddling on the couch.
  • He enjoys our date nights.

He would much rather spend Friday evening holding my hand than having to bend me over his knee because I've been disrespectful or ignored something we've agreed upon.


When discipline becomes necessary, it weighs on him too.


He knows it's going to make me anxious beforehand. He knows I'll probably cry afterward. He knows he has to remain calm, fair, and consistent even if he's had a difficult day at work himself.


That's a heavy responsibility.


One thing I've learned over the years is that I can actually make his job easier.


The first thing is accepting correction without arguing.


Nothing makes leadership more exhausting than having every decision debated. If I immediately become defensive, make excuses, or try to convince him why I'm really right, I've just doubled his burden.


Listening first shows him I respect his role.


Another thing I can do is apologize sincerely.


Not because I'm trying to avoid a spanking or shorten one, but because I genuinely understand how my actions affected our relationship. A heartfelt apology lets him know I take accountability seriously.


I also try to tell him when I recognize he's carrying a lot.


Leadership can be lonely.


There have been evenings when I've simply thanked him for taking care of our family. I've told him I appreciate that he doesn't ignore problems but addresses them, even when it's uncomfortable. Those words seem to mean more than I realize.


Respect isn't only something we show after discipline.


It's something we show every day.


I can also help by making his home a place of peace instead of another battlefield. The world asks a lot of him. Work, finances, family responsibilities, unexpected problems—it all piles up.


If home becomes another place where he has to defend every decision, correct every attitude, and settle every argument, eventually that becomes exhausting.


I'd rather be part of his peace than another source of stress.


One thing I try to remember is that he's human.


He doesn't claim to be perfect.


He's made mistakes over the years, just like I have. We've talked through them, learned from them, and moved forward together. Being the head of the household doesn't mean he has all the answers. It means he's willing to accept the responsibility of leading us, even knowing he'll sometimes get it wrong.


That takes courage.


Perhaps the greatest gift I can give him is my trust.


When I trust his heart, even when I don't fully understand his decisions, I make leadership less lonely. I remind him that we're on the same team, working toward the same goal—a stronger marriage built on love, respect, grace, and accountability.


Our domestic discipline relationship has never been about making one of us more important than the other.


It's about each of us carrying different responsibilities.


Mine is to respect, communicate honestly, and willingly accept accountability.


His is to love me well, lead wisely, protect our marriage, and sometimes make difficult decisions that neither of us particularly enjoys.


Neither role is always easy.


Both require sacrifice.


And the older I get, the more I appreciate just how much my husband quietly carries for our family.


So tonight, before I go to bed, I think I'll do something simple.


I'll wrap my arms around him, tell him "thank you," and remind him that I don't take his leadership for granted.


I hope he knows that even when being the head of the house is difficult...


...he doesn't carry that burden alone.


A Question for My Readers


Before I close, I'd love to hear from those of you who are in domestic discipline relationships.


We often talk about what our husbands do for us, how they guide us, correct us, support us, and carry the responsibility of leadership. But we don't always spend enough time talking about how we can support them in return.


What do you do to help your head of house?


How do you encourage him when he's carrying a heavy load? How do you show appreciation for his leadership? What have you found helps make his role a little easier?


Maybe it's something simple, like expressing gratitude more often. Maybe it's being quicker to accept correction without becoming defensive. Maybe it's creating opportunities for him to relax and recharge after a long day.


I'd love to hear your thoughts and experiences.


As always, your comments and stories are one of my favorite parts of this blog. They remind me that none of us are walking this journey alone, and there's always something we can learn from one another.


So tell me—what do you do to help your head of house out?


Comments

  1. Hi, it’s Linda. I’m not in this lifestyle, but I wondered if I might still be able to ask a question and that will be up to Lisa. So there’s a blogger out there named the pink side who I guess is considered one of the leaders in domestic discipline and he certainly has been on YouTube videos for many years. He said in a recent YouTube video (that’s easy to find) that he’s been very discouraged by the DD community because he thinks that it’s all about the men’s spanking their wives for every infraction. He said it’s like 90% spanking and 10% enjoying the relationship. He said DD is about a wife feeling safe and loved and cherished. So he said it should be 90% enjoying the relationship and maybe 10% or less involved in discipline. He said that DD is much more about the leadership role of the husband and steering the family in a good direction and taking responsibility for the family. And he said that most of the things that wives do can just be corrected verbally. He said that if there’s a lot of spanking in the relationship and the wife starts to feel unsafe and walking on eggshells because she doesn’t feel she can do anything right . That seems like a very healthy prescription for DD, especially coming from a man.

    When I read comments on this blog or other blogs, I find it very heavily leaning toward the frequent punishment side. Is that just because that’s the main content of the blog? So most of you here who practice DD , is it what this man said, and it’s really about 90 or 95% is all about enjoying your relationship and looking to your husband‘s leadership, and that punishment is very rare.?

    Thank you for allowing my question.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Linda,
      Great question. I think that is a good percent with 90% enjoying the relationship and 10% discipline. I would say that it is even less for us. Because of most of my spankings are Maintenance (like I ask him to spank me for stress relief or I need a good cry).

      Verbal correction is sometimes really hard to take. But very important. I have cried when he verbally corrected me and he held me and assured me that it was going to be okay and that I just need to learn. Sometimes its that I was not safe. And his fear of losing me is great. Especially my cancer, he is "terrified of walking this path without me." (His words)

      But I would say.... that the 90/10 numbers are dependent on the people. Couples might need different numbers 95/5 or 75/25. And what gets crazy is when two different people have different numbers to me that might be a conflict that would not work in a relationship.

      I am sure it feels like that is all we do is spanking and discipline and you are correct it is because that is what this blog is about. If I had one about just marriage it would be so little. (when I wrote the Blog post "Chores before Church" I tried to paint a picture of our rural life and most of that blog was blabbing about gardens and feeing animals)

      Again thanks for the comment and question .
      -Lisa

      Delete
    2. Linda.... I am watching "
      Why I Have Been Away: My disillusionment with the Domestic Discipline community" cant wait to listen.

      Delete
    3. "I get so tired of watching people in the comments sections of domestic discipline forums acting like the answer to everything is a spanking" That is a great line.

      Delete
    4. Thanks, Lisa, for answering my question. I thought that maybe was the case that a blog about corporal punishment as discipline just is more emphasizing what that’s like, but it isn’t a very big part of married life for DD couples. I hope that that’s the case for many of your readers and maybe some of them will chime in. Thank you again! Linda.

      Delete
    5. Yes I thought that was a good line too! I’ve listened to a few of his YouTube audios. He says his first name is Caleb. Linda

      Delete
    6. Linda,
      I hope so too.
      You know what is hilarious when I need or even desire a spanking and he is tired. Or he even thinks this is not worthy of a spanking and I am acting all humble and ask why wont you spank me. Like I want to feel guilt free. And he pulls me into his arms and says, "It's not a big deal." and I say, "It's a big deal to me." He says, "You made a mistake. You did not do this on purpose and it was not a big mistake. You need to forgive yourself because I truly forgive you!"

      Delete
  2. From Laya
    I want to thank you for this post. In all honesty it’s really been convicting for me and made me realize I really need to change the way I have been thinking.
    My husband and I have been in quite a slump and having some marital challenges.
    Our DD lifestyle has been put on hold which has made things even more complex. We are so distant from one another and maybe even on the verge of divorce.
    We have attempted this lifestyle now for quite a few years… our pattern is he leads… I follow… we do wonderful… he isn’t consistent…. I disconnect… he leads… I don’t follow… he leads I don’t follow… I disconnect… he disconnects… he’s not consistent….
    It’s a destructive pattern we are in and not exactly sure how to get out of the cycle.
    I am ashamed to say that my focus has been on me and only me. And what I need him to be for me to submit to him. What I need him to be for me to follow him.
    This post reminded me that perhaps my thinking is the problem. And I need to think like God thinks. I’m “his” help and what does he need.
    I’m really sad… I don’t even know what he needs. πŸ˜” maybe this is the beginning to healing our marriage is me figuring this out. πŸ™πŸ½

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laya,
      Thank you for this comment. I am hoping others read it.
      Oh my gosh that sounds a little like us in the beginning. It is a lot of work for the guy. And hubby told me once that I was the one with the power because he could not lead if I did not follow.
      -Lisa

      Delete
  3. Hi Lisa! Does it mean your husband is now actively reading your blogs? Is the content going to be more restricted? Also, did you think about your husband perhaps writing an entry into your blog? Mira

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mira,
      Great questions.
      He is reading and it feels a little awkward. So far he said what he read is perfectly fine for our protection.
      And as far as him writing a story. I laughed with him when I talked to him about writing a post. I imagine something like this and told him.
      "Lisa did something wrong. We talked. I spanked her. We hugged and then had dinner."
      We both laughed so hard when I said that.
      But I have no idea about him writing here. I probably will ask him for ideas to write about. Because coming up with topics to write about is really hard some times.
      Lisa

      Delete
  4. Btw to respond to your question, personally I serve my husband and thus support our marriage through taking care of our hearth : this also means tiny things such as making the home comfortable, choosing cute decorations, giving a certain peace to the household, having it organized and engulfed with a scent of me that directly settles him when he gets home. I think this talent to bring feminine softeness to his life and house is genuinely something that is important even to the most strict and firm head of household. It also means being peaceful, submissive, and accepting his correction or will. But most of all, we are not just two spouses separated by the strict definition of gender roles, we are simply two people who love each other; this is inherently how you understand we mutually support each other accordingly. Ultimately, recently my hubby told me I don't have to worry about anything anymore because growing and birthing his strong and healthy son means the world to him <3 Mira

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

About My Other Blog - Lisa’s Spanking Journal

Implements hidden in plain sight

Can anyone Tell?